D vs VM-based platforms

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Fri May 4 07:02:08 PDT 2007

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Pragma wrote:
>
>> Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> Ah, interesting, so that's why the installtion of the the .NET framework
>>> takes a rather long time, mistery explained.
>>>
>> But what's truly ridiculous is that .NET has exactly *one* target
>> platform.
>
> Hehe, on slashdot a 'you must be new here' reply would be modded +5
> informative :P
>
> Yeah, of course it makes sense. Let's abstract away the underlying hardware
> & operating system and lock people on this new highly portable platform
> with IP stuff, patents and DMCA. Problem solved.
>
> It's interesting to see how much effort MS has put into .NET platform and
> language research (well, except Java for some unknown reason :P) lately. I
> don't think they will be giving it all away for free.

True enough.  Perhaps this is your reply sailing right over my head, but I was commenting more about how the .NET
installer spends all this effort NGEN-ing the CLI distribution on install (supposedly anyway).  If they're deploying to
just one target platform, why wouldn't they just pre-compile before release?

But you have a point - they're obviously not trying to solve any portability problems.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo