D vs VM-based platforms

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:58:34 PDT 2007

Benji Smith skrev:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Benji Smith wrote:
<smip>
>> If you designed a language around COM, you'd get all that stuff for
>> free, too. I agree that using COM in C++ is a bit clunky, but after
>> all, C++ was designed before there was COM.
>
> Aha. Very interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.
>
> Is there such a language? Or is this just hypothetical?

Visual Basic.

The Visual Basic versions over time is pretty much a mirror of the
capabilities of COM as implemented by Microsoft over time.

Including inheriting the limitations; the reasons you can not inherit a
class from another class in Visual basic is simply because you can not
inherit a component from another component in COM.

And the interfaces and classes (components) you create in Visual Basic
are usable COM interfaces and components from C++, or what you like.

// Fredrik