Install check?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed May 9 12:47:58 PDT 2007

Nicolai Waniek wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> The NSIS installer can do that kind of thing.  Of course you have to
>> write the functionality mostly yourself, but it is possible.
>>
>> --bb
>
> I didn't have a look at NSIS yet, but maybe that's the thing to use

I've used both Inno and NSIS.  My take is if you've got fairly simple
requirements use Inno -- it's much easier and handles the common cases
very well.  But if you need something special like connecting to the
internet, etc, use NSIS.   NSIS really makes you write down just about
every action explicitly though.  For instance you have to put in a
command for each file you want installed, *and* for each file you want
uninstalled.  Why there's not some sort of default to uninstall
everything you install is beyond me.  I ended up writing some python
scripts to generate an NSIS include file with the file lists needed by
my installer.

--bb