request: python style decorators / aspect orientation

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Thu May 10 07:43:43 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> On a side note; is this all Aspect-oriented programming is?  Everything
> I read about it basically amounted to "AOP is the Second Coming!!!!!
> Also, Java is the best language EVAR!!!!!!" and never really said what
> it was or why it was useful.

While I've never done a single keystroke of AOP myself, this seems to be what it is (by design anyway).  Sure, there's a
wide variety of strategies for wrapping a function (compile-time, runtime, prefix, postfix, etc) but ultimately, that's it.

> If all it is is glorified function wrapping, I'm going to be somewhat
> disappointed :P

I think that it becomes more transformative in use than in theory; so the glorification is somewhat warranted.  As this
thread has shown (along with the previous CallConstraints thread) a well-crafted solution would allow the coder to say
very expressive things with very little code.  IMO, that deserves /some/ praise after all. ;)

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo