Help with linker problem

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu May 10 14:00:34 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Frank Benoit wrote:
>> Walter Bright schrieb:

>>> noi means case sensitive, yes, it's needed.
>>> I'd use /co rather than /deb.
>>>
>>> Do you have only 1.5Gb of free disk space?
>>>
>>> Optlink tries to do everything in memory. It is entirely possible that
>>> all this stuff simply exceeds memory. You can try excluding debug info
>>> for some of the modules/libraries.
>>
>> I deleted some file, and have 3.5 GB free. But if the exe grows bigger
>> then 1 GB, i do a Ctrl-C.
>
> I (personally) find these days that having less than 10Gb free is
> unusable. My laptop doesn't have much space on it, but I use a plug-in
> external 160Gb USB drive.

Am I understanding this correctly?!

If the end product is supposed to be less than 5MB, I have a hard time
believing that a compile could ever need more than, say, 50MB hd at any
moment. That's ten times the binary.

You're surely not seriously suggesting that a compile could need for
example a gig of hard disk?

(My laptops boast a 20GB hard disk each, evenly split between Linux and
Windows. (FC4, W2k) I live happily in them, and 10GB for Windows and
10GB for Fedora seems ample. Sure, I don't use downloaded MP3s, HD-DVDs,
or whatever; these work laptops are for programming, administration of
other unixes, company red tape, and statistics and databases. Heh,and D
NG r/w.)

OTOH, of course, some outlandish template stuff might need amazing
amounts of memory, but we're talking hard disk here.