[got "more than a little" off-topic] New paradigms [was: request: python style decorators / aspect orientation]

david ta-nospam-zz at gmx.at
Fri May 11 12:30:27 PDT 2007

Georg Wrede wrote:
> [...]
> and with this amazing software driver (/dev/od) you now get a stream of
> fresh entangled qubits.
>
> Dunno what to do with them? Well, for $10k a head, send your programmers
> to a ski resort in the arctic Finland, and we'll enlighten them. We also
> have them sleep with an OD box next to their head, and the combination
> of aurora borealis radiation and the OD box will help them assimilate
> our ahead-of-civilization programming paradigms. And when they come
> back, we'll monitor your company's progress (for an amazingly reasonable
> $100k/week) for the next six months. If no progress is evident, then
> we'll take your middle management for the same treatment (at
> $200k/head). We guarantee results, or your money back. (Except that by
> the time you get disillusioned you can't afford to sue us anymore. And
> if you don't get disillusioned we'll keep at it till you're dry.) Oh, L.
> Ron Hubbard was our first customer, and he sure died rich and with a
> smile on his face.
>
> ---
>
> Man, I'm in the wrong business. I should drop D and start making those
> OD boxes.
>
> ps, a hint to those of you who plan on boringly staying with D. Maybe
> you can get rich without leaving D.  Check out the word "Qudit" on the
> same page.
>
> ---
>
> Oh, my! Now that I think about this, I have to confess I've already done
> it for real. In the nineties I was working in a consultancy, and we were
> running out of money. After some serious brainstorming we got the fast
> buck idea that we'll gather gullible cubicle programmers from large
> companies and drag them to Lapland for an Extreme Java seminar. I
> organised the thing, got a few lecturers and off we went. The seminar
> was basically about pouring a list of "believe it or not" stuff on them,
> giving them nightly assignments so they don't have time to drink beer or
> sleep, and then giving them a nice certificate of participation to hang
> on their cubicle wall.
>
> Amazing stuff like "you can write an entire web server in Java on a
> single page", "with multithreading you can have several threads visit
> the same object at the same time", and the like. By the time they got
> home they were so confused and in awe, that the first week at work they
> walked around like zombies mumbling incomprehensible stuff to the
> cleaning woman and cafeteria waiters.
>
> The word got around. Six months later we were booked solid. Our
> consultancy had a reputation of being a bunch of larger than life gurus
> on Advanced Topics. We put a clear plastic box three feet across right
> in the middle of the entrance hall to our office. There was a hidden
> blower inside, and pillow feathers floating and dancing around in it. No
> customer ever dared to ask what this contraption was.
>
> Gee, I guess writing my memoirs would be even more fun than the D book.

<rant>
Picking up the topic of quantum computing, I broaden it to
quantum mechanics - et voilà!
It's just that from time to time I come across an article
that states something (about e.g. the future in general,
philosophy, psychology, ...), and when it comes to the point
where it says that in the end we don't really know,
finishes with "uncertainty, just like in quantum mechanics!".
And when you don't know better, you believe that (whatever it is
that you try to connect with it) and are impressed!
(At least some of my friends I asked about it.)
Some people just tend to learn a few terms only to impress
laymen - and when you're an "insider", it's *so* obvious...

Georg Wrede wrote:
 > Today we KNOW it started at zero size. Yeah, and we used to KNOW
 > the earth was flat and the sun orbited us. I'll laugh my head off
 > when they "discover" that the universe has always been and not just
 > created at time T=0.

Actually, I was lucky enough to listen to a talk by Prof. Joseph
Weizenbaum yesterday evening, and he mentioned about the same
- the sun rotating around the earth vs. earth around sun, and that we
just pick the most simple that is still true and *dismiss* the other
possible solutions/realities. His initial question to this was:
"Who believes the earth rotates around the sun and *not* the other way
around?" - it's all just a matter of point of view,
but the equations are _so_ much easier...

That said, quantum computers still make for a _very_ interesting
field of research. Ever wondered how you could cut down the search
time for a special dataset in a random database?
Grover's algorithm changes the average N/2 tries down to O(sqrt(N)),
and for the special case of 4 elements (which was actually done as an
experiment by one of my profs), the classic 2.25 tries (worst case 3)
become 1 (!). It's definitely _very_ interesting (at least for me),
but so totally in its infancy that we're still _far far_ away
from any applications other than toy problems (like determining
the prime factors of 15).

david