[got "more than a little" off-topic] New paradigms [was: request: python style decorators / aspect orientation]

david ta-nospam-zz at gmx.at
Fri May 11 18:15:16 PDT 2007

Georg Wrede schrieb:
> Most of the time the article writers don't really understand the issue.
> They ask experts, try to read advanced literature, but the /real
> understanding/ isn't there. That's fine for the "average reader", i
> guess. But the astute reader, or those who know at least something about
> the topic, often get frustrated.

I was more referring to the excessive use of certain words
in a context that has rather less to do with it
("Everyone uses it and it sounds cool - So I'll use it as well!"),

> Academic texts would be better, but then they're not for the general
> public, so they usually are intractable. It's such a shame. And there
> seem to exist so few people who can (or bother to) explain forefront
> stuff to laymen. (With a very few but notable exceptions.)

That is certainly true, as we see that (e.g. in physics) people like
Richard Feynman are revered for their ability to explain complex
relations in a way even John Doe can understand
  - simply because there are so few of them.

> Also it often happened (and actually still does) that things come
> together and click, now I understand something new. All those things I
> do remember for the rest of my life.

... and if it happens in your field of expertise you
suddenly know that it's all worth the effort you put in it every day :-)
(Actually, I'm thinking about some time ago when I was
about 1-1.5 years at university and after reading, listening and
calculating with them one afternoon just realized
what Maxwell's equations really meant, what it was all about.
Suddenly I had these weird pictures in my head of reality
superposed by vector and scalar fields - it was really cool *g*).

david