Idea for Threads

Manfred Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 09:16:57 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote

> Personally, I think the future of threading is not in making it
> easier for programmers to write threaded code, but to make
> compilers smart enough to automatically thread code.

This is not possible for compilers in general because
- algorithms for single or quasi-single processors may loose
performance drastically when the number of threads supportable by the
hardware increases, i.e. more processors become available.
- in a system that dynamically assigns processors to a process the
compiler has to know in advance the effects for every possible change
of the assigned number of processors

-manfred