dynamic array memory allocation

Greg Weber webs.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 15 23:30:35 PDT 2007

I find myself wondering what actually happens when I create a dynamic array and concatenate items onto it.  I think I read in a post that memory will be over-allocated at times to avoid re-allocating.

I think it would help out a lot to have an ability to specify over-allocation.  Something like
uint a = [];
a.length = 3:10

Where the array length is 3, but you are guaranteed to have memory allocation for 10, so you can be guaranteed that concatenation up to ten will not need to allocate memory.  This could help in the situation where there is concatenation in a loop, and the programmer over-sizes the array before the loop and re-sizes after the loop.