Where do you keep your source? (was Re: Module packaging)

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Thu May 17 12:34:55 PDT 2007

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Julio César Carrascal Urquijo wrote:
>> Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> See http://dsource.org/projects/dsss/, the "D Shared Software System"
>>>
>>> You can also use normal packaging for C/C++ etc. I normally install
>>> the import modules in $PREFIX/include/d and the libraries in
>>> $PREFIX/lib...
>>>
>>> --anders
>>
>> I think he refers to a standard folder where a library can be dropped
>> and it's included by the compiler automatically.
>
> Just for fun, let's take a survey.
>
> I can't decide where to store my code. On my home computer I've been
> using "C:\pgm\d\src", but on my work computer, I've been using
> "D:\MyFiles\pgm\d\src".
>
> I suspect at least one person is using "C:\dmd\src" (or something similar).
>
> But I have multiple versions of DMD on my comptuer, so I guess I would
> have to decide between:
> C:\PrgFiles\dmd-1.000\src
> C:\PrgFiles\dmd-1.007\src
> C:\PrgFiles\dmd-1.013\src
> etc.

Wouldn't it be great if somebody made a system that could install your D
source to some central location, and then allow you to use it easily,
without adding a bunch of -I and -L directives? Oh well, too bad nobody
has ever thought to do that.

  - Gregor Richards

PS: In case you didn't get it: I'm talking about DSSS, stupid.