Where do you keep your source? (was Re: Module packaging)

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Fri May 18 08:08:58 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> Reply to Pragma,
>>>
>>> Also, FWIW, I've taken to using BASH scripts for larger build tasks in
>>> both Windows and Linux.  The Win32 port of the GNU Linux shell
>>> utilities (sh, ls, find, grep, and more) makes this a snap and is
>>> *highly* recommended for anyone who works in both systems frequently.
>>>

>> where do you get these? (Do you have a link handy?)
>
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
>
> There's an installer script on that site somewhere that's the easiest
> way to get things.  Uncompressed, the resulting mess is about 350MB,
> though much of that could be deleted, just keeping the binaries.
>

> Sean

Actually, I just use these: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ (*way* smaller than 350MB).

The only problem with installing that I've had is that find.exe already exists under c:\windows, so you need to put the
/bin directories for this at the *start* of your system path.  Otherwise, you can't use the unix-style 'find' command,
but everything else still works.

The Windows/DOS shell isn't as crippled as you'd think, it just doesn't have any good commands.  The utils are
non-backslash friendly, but as the DMD tools are *forward-slash* friendly, I just quit using backslashes altogether.

Rebuild has a small issue with forward-slashes on Windows though. :(

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo