Can we please have digitalmars.D.phobos ?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu May 24 17:56:51 PDT 2007

pragma wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> Reply to Anders,

>>> But Tango already has a forum ?
>>> http://dsource.org/projects/tango/forums
>>>
>>> --anders
>>>

>> And off we go again to debate the reason that NG's/forums are the
>> stupidest/only way to go for on-line dialog.
>>
>> As for me and my self, I will not use forums.
>
> Oh c'mon BCS... /everyone's/ doing it. ;)
>
> Out of curiosity, why the strong dislike of the forum system?  Is it too
> log-in happy, or is it more of the "my interface or the highway"
> disposition of the beast?
>
> The reason why I ask is I'd like to write RSS output for TracForums
> sometime in the future.  If there's actually some people that dsource
> isn't reaching for lack of an alternate interface, then I'm all for
> pushing up the priority a bit. :)

For me it's the speed issue.  Web pages just take a long time to load.
Dsource is much better now after the hardware upgrades, but still
there's no way a forum with all its frames and images and fancy layouts
can beat the speed of what is basically the download of raw text from a
server.

And maybe there's an information density issue a bit too.  Forums tend
to have a lot of empty space on the screen.  They fill up the screen
with a bunch of blank space, and then are forced to put a big row of
links to more pages of the stuff that wouldn't fit [prev|1|2|3|4|5|next]
at the bottom.

Forums also seem to encourage people to make frivolous 'me too' comments
for some reason, also contributing to the lack of information density.

--bb