Meta-Programming

Mahe maheweb at web.de
Fri May 25 08:09:02 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have worked with D for some months. It is much better than C++ and a good alternative to Java or C#.

But I think a really powerful aspect is missing in D compared to Java/C#: Meta-Programming!
In D it is only possible to create a class with a standard constructor from a string with a class name in it. But there is no introspection of the structure of the class, no dynamic method calls, no dynamic attribute reading or setting.
But such reflection possibilities are important in component based software design of large systems.

Also some notation of extra metadata to classes, fields and methods would be good, like Java-Annotations. This would also be a powerful feature.

I don't know if for such features a VM is necessary!

Bye!