compile-time variables?

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Mon May 28 11:13:18 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> [...]
> why is it just char[], why not T[] for any T that can be used by it's
> self? I have some cases where I want to do that.

I don't know the full story, but after looking through the front-end
code, my guess is that it's just easier that way.  That is, when
checking to see whether a particular type can be a compile-time array,
it's easier to check against one type than against a set of types, or
detect a set of type properties.  Also, since dynamic char[] already
violates the purity of metaprogramming, I think that Walter didn't want
to expand and encourage that without thinking very hard about it (it's
easier to give people new features than to take them away).

Dave