iterators again

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Mon May 28 15:51:44 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>> If you can find a D-size language designed by a community to show that
>> that is a Better Way, I'm sure we would all be both surprised and
>> delighted to hear about it.
>
> One could argue that Ada is such a language, and it's really pretty nice
> in my opinion.  But I wouldn't go so far as to call it a successful
> language.  People have heard of it and it's used in the circles for whom
> it was designed, but that's about it.

I actually used it in college because that's what my school taught for
CS 1 and 2, and the most striking thing about Ada is that it was so far
ahead of its time, it took about a decade for someone to implement a
full compiler for the language.  Either that, or it was so overdesigned
that nobody could implement it.  The problem was, it was only
overdesigned at the time it was conceived.  By the time people got
around to implementing it, other languages had already made it passe.
It moved like molasses, and that's why the only major adopter has been
an organization that moves like molasses: the DoD.

That being said, it has influenced subsequent languages, but has done so
without being any of those languages, which is a dubious honor at
best...one that I hope D can avoid by being smaller and nibler.  Of
course, the counter-examples are all the major and popular languages
that exist today that were primarily designed by one driving personality
plus a small group of colleagues.

Dave