The future of concurrent programming

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 29 07:56:11 PDT 2007

freeagle wrote:
> Why do people think there is a need for another language/paradigm to
> solve concurrent problem? OSes deal with parallelism for decades,
> without special purpose languages. Just plain C, C++. Just check Task
> manager in windows and you'll notice there's about 100+ threads running.
> If microsoft can manage it with current languages, why we cant?
>
> freeagle

We can; it's just hard as hell and thoroughly unenjoyable.  Like I said
before: I can and have written multithreaded code, but it's so utterly
painful that I avoid it wherever possible.

It's like trying to wash a car with a toothbrush and one of those giant
novelty foam hands.  Yeah, you could do it, but wouldn't it be really
nice if someone would go and invent the sponge and wash-cloth?

	-- Daniel

--
int getRandomNumber()
{