The future of concurrent programming

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue May 29 11:33:03 PDT 2007

Dave wrote:

> How will the new Intel chip architecture really drastically change that?
> I recently read an article that many server applications are already
> "close to ideally suited" to the new CPU architectures, and "should
> immediately benefit" from them.

Most of them are.  I think the problem will be more with user apps,
particularly games.

> (If they can "immediately benefit" from the multi-core designs, then
> it's not a leap to suppose that these "old" techniques must still hold a
> good deal of merit. Why re-invent the wheel?).

Because the traditional means of multi-threading will not scale well to
systems with a large number of CPUs (in my opinion).  By large I mean at
least 16, which people at Intel have said we'll be using within a few
years.  That doesn't give software developers much lead time to figure
out how to easily use all that hardware.

> What I think will need to change for the most part will be how _some_
> "fat client" applications are developed, but that is becoming less
> relevant in this era of "thin-client" computing. IIS, Apache, Oracle,
> SQL Server and the rest take care of most of the concurrent operation
> worries for us <g> OTOH, maybe multi-core becoming available on a
> typical client will create a resurgence of demand for "fat-client".

How many "thin client" applications do you use?  I don't use any, unless
you count web forums.  If the "thin client" idea invades the desktop I
suspect it will be as common for desktops to be running both the client
and the server as it will to run only the client with a remote server.
And that still leaves out games, which have been driving personal
computer development for almost 20 years.  I suppose that means I think
"fat clients" are the more likely scenario.

Sean