threads: Waiting for event & shutdown socket

Benjamin Schulte Aldoric at gmx.de
Wed May 30 15:14:58 PDT 2007

Well, for question 1: I want to have the thread to be paused until I set a variable to TRUE (for example). Don't exactly know how the SleepEx method should work. And as soon as I use winAPI methods, I also could use WaitForSingleObject.

Question 2:

I have the methods:

startServer( )
which creates a thread that runs the server and handles everything there.

closeServer( )
this should KILL the thread. Wherever it is at the moment.

the thread itself just has a structure like (it's a one-client-server, cause I never would need more in this case):

- create socket
- bind socket and listen

while( true )
{
  - accept
  - handle messages
}

And for the case, no user connected to the server it will block at "accept". When I call 'closeServer' it should close the thread, even if it's in the accept method.

Hopefully I was able to explain it a bit exactlier now. I know, I have a bad english ;)