DMD in Gentoo

Brad Anderson brad at dsource.org
Thu May 31 18:51:00 PDT 2007

Anant Narayanan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick announcement that I just added DMD versions 1.010 and 1.014 to
> the portage tree. Apparently, some features of the language aren't
> supported by the current GDC version, so this should help.
>
> Also, I would have liked to offer the option of using tango with DMD, but
> the current tango release (0.98) doesn't seem to compile with DMD 1.010 or
> 1.014.
>
> Regards,

Anant,

Um, hi.  I just lost some hair over something that you mention in this post.
Tango doesn't work with your setup.

I just upgraded my dmd to the one you put in portage... that's bad-ass, btw,
so thanks.  Then, I tried to build Tango from source.  Not so much, as you
note above.

The issue I corrected was to (in /opt/dmd/bin/) remove your dmd shell script
and rename the dmd.bin to dmd.  Not sure how the legal crap works out for you,
but your -I and -L are no good.  I prefer to control my Phobos vs. Tango
setups in /etc/dmd.conf, which is symlinked to /opt/dmd/bin/dmd.conf

I'm not sure if you can change the ebuild to reflect these changes, but it
would be nice.  If you're bound to having dmd.bin, maybe you could work your
voodoo on dmd (shell script) to accept the other args.

In any case, with my new setup, and a fresh tango checkout at ~/dev/d/tango, I
just navigated to ~/dev/d/tango/lib and executed ./build-dmd.sh and
./install-dmd.sh, and voila, no more hair of mine need be expended.  iI get a
nice new, shiny libphobos.a in /usr/lib/  A side issue for Walter is wtf that
name is doing hardcoded into the compiler.  Baby steps ;)

Cheers,
Brad