Dynamic Class Loading Idea

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 01:00:17 PST 2007

Craig Black Wrote:

> "Bruce Adams" <tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:fgicuv$11j1$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Daniel Keep Wrote:

> >> Here's how I understand it.  DDL is a linker.  The only difference
> >> between DDL and dmd/gcc is that it works at run time instead of compile
> >> time.
> >>
> >> What you described is basically what a linker does, hence what DDL does.
> >>
> >> -- Daniel
> >
> > Its also what an operating does to load dynamic link libraries or shared
> > objects.
> >

> Right, but the operating system does not do this when loading dll's or so's
> at run-time.

It depends on the operating system but generally yes it does. On some systems libraries are only loaded when they are first needed. On others they are loaded whent the program starts. And then there's usually a runtime API of some sort. LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress on windows. Those only half count because their too low level.

I don't know much about DDL is it OS specific or portable?