Full closures for D

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 08:43:02 PST 2007

KlausO Wrote:

> Denton Cockburn schrieb:
> > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:03:59 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> >
> >> D 2.007 brings full closures to D. I was tired of D being denigrated for
> >> not having "real" closures.
> >>

> > Nicely Done.  Lisp is looking less special everyday.
>
> Awesome. Seems it's time to update
>
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguagesVersusD

Someone with more a functional programming background may be able
to enlighten us but doesn't the existence of proper closures allow us to implement monads as a library now? Though I can't quite see in what situation we would want to use them.

> and the next big thing may be first class continuations which has an
> interesting application in GUI code, see
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/fuchs95escaping.html

Is this not possible via a library too, even without closures? Excuse me if I'm more than half asleep today.