Toiby; #14 an rising

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Nov 7 13:30:11 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> The month-to-month variations of one slot or two up or down are obviously
> meaningless.

That's what I mean by fixation.  Here's an example:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/tiobe_D_remains_at_14_but_is_losing_ground_for_the_second_month_8868.html

My impression of the D community is that they consider themselves
hard-core engineer types.  I see TIOBE mentioned far too often around
here to be consistent with that image.  As somebody who follows D from
the outside, it's a negative.

> But the fact that D is in the top 20 and has been for a
> while, and that Scala is not, says something to me.

I'll grant you that's a positive for D, but what I'm talking about is
fixation on TIOBE, not just a general awareness that it has made it into
the top 20.  My personal opinion is that if you build a great language
and community around it that stuff like TIOBE and the network effect
will take care of itself.

-Jeff