what is the definition of new programming language

simas simas at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 02:57:57 PST 2007

Sean Wrote:

> Maybe this is an old topic or maybe this is a stupid question. But I am really confusing about it.
> I learned C programming language in high school, and then I learned C++ in the first year in university. C++ likes opening a new world to me and gives me a new feeling about how to think the problems and how to construct the programs.
> The D language has lots of good features, I am exciting about these features, but I can not feel as exciting as when I learn the C++ language. I do not know weather because it does not have a new thinking style about how to programming or something else.
> Anyway, it is a really good language. But what is the definition of new programming language?

The question is: why c++ makes you felt this? For me c++ makes solving complex problems simple and c++ reduce the number of code lines (compared to c). But c++ isn't perfect as we know. Every new programming language must help solving problems and writing code simpler, IMO. This is what i felt the first time i wrote a D program. Currently D lose its magic, for me. Things like const/invariant and <"staic".dup> (copy on write) confusing me. This makes writing code not simpler. Some discussion in this NG are very academically. The main point should be "how to solve problems simple and short", IMHO. How you think about this?