An interesting observation

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 8 19:36:30 PST 2007

BCS wrote:

> http://www.sysprog.net/quotcob.html
>
> Historically, languages designed for other people to use have been bad:
> Cobol, PL/I, Pascal, Ada, C++.
> The good languages have been those that were designed for their own
> creators: C, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp. (Paul Graham)
>
> can we add D to this list?

It's ironic that you mention that. My experience as a software engineer
is that when I write a program that delivers what the marketing folks
tell me people will buy, it fails. Whenever I wrote a program to please
myself, it's been a big success. What's most interesting is that the
latter is especially true when the marketing folks tell me that nobody
would ever want the program I'm writing.

And yes, that applies to D, too. When I started on it, my friends and
colleagues would all smile sadly and indulgently at my folly.

They said I should do a javascript compiler, because what the world
needed was a fast javascript engine. So I built one, it ran twice as
fast as jscript, and I couldn't give it away <g>.

Meanwhile, D took off.