std.stream.Stream.writeable

0ffh frank at frankhirsch.youknow.what.todo.net
Thu Nov 15 01:55:05 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Bruce Adams wrote:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:
>>> Really? I never noticed  that with my mother tongue (Norwegian, which use
>>> mostly phonetic spelling). It is just a whole lot easier to learn to
>>> write correctly. Apparently English is the language with the most
>>> dyslectics, and that with a good margin. Chinese have none ...
>>>
>> Is that based on science or government propaganda?
>
> Science. In English you have to learn writing almost independently from how
> you talk. Chinese (and I suppose other similar languages) isn't necessarily
> comparable, as they aren't spellable in the same way.

Right, the problem is that the phenomenon of dyslexia is just not
applicable to the non-phonetic (purely symbolic) writing systems.
That does in no way mean that analphabetism is less of a problem.

While I have to learn 26 letters plus pronunciation rules (which
are not quite as horrendous as the English/American, but still a
bit of work; I envy the Italian people here), educated Chinese
people learn approximately 4000 Symbols (I am told).

Regards, Frank