Phango

Alexander Panek alexander.panek at brainsware.org
Fri Nov 16 01:09:25 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:17:42 +0000
"Janice Caron" <caron800 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 11/16/07, Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> > Actually, the core of Tango is in tango.core
>
> Yeah, I've tweaked my copies of several of files in core already.

My apologies - ... tweaked?

> > - the std/ folder is just
> > there because DMD requires the intrinsic module to be there, IIRC.
>
> I didn't understand that, but hey ho. In any case, the original Phobos
> std is still there in my case.

As said - you could as well put the Phobos sources into Tango's std
folder and *tweak* those.

> > Just curious: why don't you use Tango and the freestanding
> > functions of Phobos
>
> Lot of reasons.
>
> (1) If an engine ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think there are people who definitely wouldn't agree on that. But I
am not in the qualified position to argue about that.

> (3) I hate Tango, stylisticly. I hate the mixed case module names, and
> the mixed case global variable names (e.g. Stdout). I want everything
> to look and feel like Phobos.

No comment on that.

> (4) Walter has been doing this for seven years or whatever, and has
> earned my greatest respect. Ripping out the innards of D scares the
> shit out of me - and not only that, I see no reason why I should have
> to.

It scares you? Why?

> This way, I get to use the latest cutting-edge version of D, I can
> make all the module names lowercase (yes, that matters!), and though
> things like Stdout(x).newline compile and run, I don't have to use
> them - I'll be able to throw in nicer looking functions that do the
> same thing.

You know, there's still printf in tango.stdc.stdio ..... just in
case. :P

--
Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org>