Phango

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:07:58 PST 2007

On 11/16/07, Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:17:42 +0000
> "Janice Caron" <caron800 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/16/07, Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> > > Actually, the core of Tango is in tango.core
> >
> > Yeah, I've tweaked my copies of several of files in core already.
>
> My apologies - ... tweaked?

Well yeah. As I said at the start of this thread, what I did was:

   foreach(example)
       while(does not compile)
           fix_first_error()

So if the compiler tells me that A won't cast to B because of some
invariant issue or some-such, then I modified the source in the
offending file. If that happened to be tango.core (actually I renamed
it phango.core to avoid confusion) then so be it.

> As said - you could as well put the Phobos sources into Tango's std
> folder and *tweak* those.

As I mentioned, I did not copy tango's std folder at all. I am doing
without it. I am not interested in messing around with D's standard
library (Phobos) in any way. In fact, I sometimes have had to call on
its services (e.g. std.contracts.assumeUnique()) to get things to
compile.

> It scares you? Why?

Because it might stop something upon which I already rely from working

> You know, there's still printf in tango.stdc.stdio ..... just in

True. But that's not really an issue for what I'm doing. If I can be
bothered, I might find a way to add cout.writefln() and
stdout.writefln() or whatever, to give me Phobos syntax with Tango's
streams. But right now I've still got Phobos's writef() and writefln()
functions at my disposal, so I'm perfectly happy.

Besides ... printf()? Now there's a function that really should be deprecated!