std.stream.Stream.writeable

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Nov 16 04:09:18 PST 2007

Alix Pexton wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Regan Heath" <regan at netmail.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:fhhlbd$1a20$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> C was vexed, "I'm much perplexed,
>>> You criticise my shape.
>>> I'm made like that, to help spell Cat
>>> And Cow and Cool and Cape."
>>
>> kat, kow, kool, kape.
>>
>> Anywhere a c is used, some other letter kould be used.  Well almost.  ch
>> is
>> kind of an exseption.  But hard c is /k/, soft c /s/.  Kome on, let's get
>> rid of this 'c' nonsense.

FWIW, in Norwegian we have k instead of c, except for some names where soft
c is used, and so called imported words like 'service'. Most imported words
get Norwegian spelling if they get defined as part of the language proper
though, in the case of 'service' -> sørvis.

The ch sound is the same as kj in Norwegian and is a similar special case.
Indeed, ki is prounounced the same, but then always with i as the following
vowel, compare Kina to China.

> Would you advocate the change to the words "elektrik" and "elektrishian"?
> How would you explain that rule?

Similar to ch and kj, sh becomes sj in Norwegian. However, I can't explain
how the above would be from those rules alone, as Norwegian have those
words written slightly different - elektrisk and elektriker.

> c is a multi-paradigm letter, its sometimes useful : )

Not really.

The Norwegian alphabet have 29 letters, a-z + æ,ø,å (Æ,Ø,Å) - but c, q and x
aren't in any common use beyond certain imported words (like mentioned
above), xylofon comes to mind, but could probably be spelled as ksylofon
instead. So I'd say that the changes proposed here (the one and only true
forum for English development) are quite possible, and the letters c, q and
x could be removed from the alphabet :D

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net