Phango

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 18 02:11:25 PST 2007

Kris wrote:
> Hiya Derek,
>
> It's probably worth pointing out that millions of Java developers don't have
> the issue you note? I mean, if it were an issue, we'd surely have heard
> about it years ago?

The compiler will distinguish modules Foo and foo as being different,
but the filesystem won't.

Does it cause problems? See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/casesensitive.html

Evidently it does come up as an issue:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-03/msg00334.html

As for me, I've routinely ported code between filesystems that had all
kinds of varying support for case. What works best is naming files with
all lower case - then things port smoothly without problems. Why have
potential problems when they are so easily avoided?

A further reason is that having case conventions for different kinds of
symbols aids in reading the code (and even catching errors). Having
module names use a different form than class names, for example, just
helps. Not a whole lot, but why not take it?

And in the end, the Tango team can use whatever conventions they want to.