Phango

Alix Pexton _a_l_i_x_._p_e_x_t_o_n_ at _g_m_a_i_l_._c_o_m_
Sun Nov 18 12:05:48 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> renoX wrote:
>
>> Lars Ivar Igesund a écrit :

>>> Indeed, and Tango is quite a different project from Phobos (not counting
>>> the runtime).
>> *Sigh*, would you have a look at the big picture please?
>>
>> People wants to use both Tango and Phobos, that's why there have been
>> complaints of incompatibility between both.
>>
>> Tango will be made compatible with Phobos in D2.0, that's very nice but
>> one step even better than compatibility is coherence.
>>
>> Phobos is the default standard library, so the true question is not "why
>> project XXX should use the same way as Phobos?" but "why project XXX
>> didn't use the 'Phobos way'?".
>>
>> A valid answer could be "this part of Phobos sucks because YYY", that
>> would be okay: nobody claimed that Phobos is perfect, just that it is
>> the default.
>>
>> So in this case, why Phobos convention of module naming isn't good enough?
>> For me, it is.
>
> I think it was already said, but we think that for any larger project
> CamelCase is more readable, something that also apply to module names. I
> also think it is a perfectly valid reason to distinguish a module name from
> the package it is in.
>
> Also note that (partially in reply to Pexton too) although someone wants to
> use both Tango and Phobos in the same project, there isn't any technical
> reason to do so beyond possibly some functionality not being present in
> both places. This tends to be fixed in Tango if there is a compelling
> reason to do so, though.

Firstly, I think it quite rude to refer to me by my surname alone, even if you are unsure if you are making the correct assumption it would be polite to prefix Mr.

Secondly, my gripe has nothing to do with using Tango and Phobos together and I don't know where in what I have written I might have given that impression.

I will give you credit, Tango is very consistent in its style and much of the code is very elegant, but I believe very strongly that the decision to use mixed case identifiers for BOTH module names AND classes was a mistake.

All the other issues I have with the layout of the library stem from this, but it seems that you are an immovable object, and alas I am not an unstoppable force.

I wish you all the best with your library...

A...