Tango requests

Kris foo at bar.com
Sun Nov 18 18:17:28 PST 2007

"Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote ...
>> felt that some minor details would need adjustment for our purposes. I
>> recall there was some technical difficulty regarding module names at the
>> time, but don't recall the specifics right now.

See the post from h3 ...

> .. and if they don't work out then you should have some good reasons why.
> I just want to know what those reasons are so I can decide if I agree or
> not.  And I think that's what others are really after too, even if they
> prefix their requests with "You silly tango developers! your keyboard was
> a hamster and your library smells of elderberries!".

Tired of it, Bill. Some people will always latch onto something because
that's just the way they are.

> Here's another reason to spend some time convincing people to use Tango.
> My dad is in a much more sales-oriented field than I am and he told me one
> time about how there are different kinds of customers.  Some customers
> walk in and will take anything you try to sell them.  But they'll also
> just as happily go down the street next week to the other guy and buy from
> him instead.  Other customers ask a lot of questions and require a lot of
> hand holding -- they're harder to get an initial sale out of, but once
> you've convinced them, often they're yours for life.  They'll even go out
> of their way to convince *other* people to go to your shop, and ignore
> things like price differences, just because you've earned their trust.

There's perhaps also a case where some people are just not worth the
trouble? Strangely enough, some people would prefer to have no choice, and
for Tango to die a horrible death. There's little point in trying to reason
with such people. I'm sure you'd agree?

> So, I think Sean's doing a good job building up that kind of trust for
> Tango.  When I read his posts I think, "ok these guys have thought through
> these things, I see the reasoning, and I kind of agree with it. Hmm, maybe
> I can trust the other decisions Sean has been a part of as well."

Good.

>> The effort is appreciated Bill, but realistically, Tango is not going to
>> change in this manner.
>
> That's cute.  You re-post Sean's questions asking for arguments about why
> to change, then when you get an answer you say "actually we don't care
> what you answer, Tango's not changing".

For what is being asked and the reasons given, no. I explained why also (for
the fourth time), but you chopped that part off :)

> Well, I'd still like to suss out what the best practices are for D coding
> so that we can all use them and recommend them unequivocally and with
> solid reasons to all D coders.  Those practices may precisely be the ones
> used in Tango already.  I hope so.

That's great! I certainly wish you well and would be mor than happy to
participate. I'm not interested in using Tango as some kind of whipping-boy
for this exercise though :)

> As has been noted several times prior, one persons
>> stylistic meat is another's stylistic poison.
>
> The point here that you keep ignoring is that there's more involved than
> just style or personal preference.

Please spell them out so that it's clear?

> The tidbit about module/package name conflicts that Tom S brings up is
> another good objective reason for using Tango's convention.

That's one of the reasons I noted at the beginning, but didn't recall the
specifics of.