Proposal: digitalmars.D.tango newsgroup

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Mon Nov 19 08:07:39 PST 2007

Reply to Alix,

> Alexander Panek wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure whether I proposed this before, but I do see a necessity
>> for this. Even though there are forums and the ticketing system on
>> dsource, the main discussions are going on on IRC, which is a fairly
>> frail medium of communication.
>>
>> Given the latest discussions, rants and whatnot, a dedicated forum
>> for Tango users and contributors within the context of D's official
>> website, as well as its main medium of discussion - evidently the
>> newsgroups -, would provide a possibility of better communication
>> between rest-of-the-world and Tango (as in: the entirety of users,
>> contributors, critics, etc.).
>>
>> I would appreciate any comments regarding a new forum - please don't
>> use this thread to reply to, or cite, previous postings about Tango's
>> communication.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Alex
> I don't think a new NG is the answer, there is already plenty of space
> for contacting the Tango team and adding another specifically for them
> will not necessarily change the tone of the debate.
>
> After communicating with Tango devs on IRC, one of thier preffered
> formats, it seems to me that the NG format is for some of them the
> problem.
>
> A...

I use IRC when the NG is down
I use forum when I have no other choice (e.i. almost never)

NG's have a distinct advantage of archiving the discussion in a structured
way. They also are handy in that they allow you to read stuff offline.

The only advantage I see to IRC is that it is real time, and to forums is
that all you need is a browser. Nether of these holds much weight with me
and I rather suspect I'm not alone.