Tango development

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Nov 19 08:32:47 PST 2007

Alix Pexton wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>> There's recently been a couple of notable threads that I recall over
>> Tango, which have been entirely non-constructive, and revolved almost
>> entirely around small details such as module naming conventions.  It's
>> like there's some kind of fear and loathing seething under the
>> surface. I'm wondering whether it's because Tango is not generally
>> discussed in the ng at all. I mean, it is developed and maintained
>> completely /outside/ of this ng environment. Is there some basis for
>> this notion?
>
> To me, it seems that both D and Tango are developed with a similar air
> of secrecy, widly discussed by those that are interested in them, both
> represented by their respective authors, but the process of decision
> making vieled and mysterious.
>
> Occasionally there are announcements of a new version, even more
> occasionaly hints of new features upcoming, but no insight into the
> process that has built them.

I can see how some people may feel this way.  However, the bulk of
discussion actually takes place on #d.tango, and in many cases is driven
by user issues with the library.

> Genuine enquiries about why Tango is like it is seem always to be met
> with the same few responces, "come to IRC/Our Forum", "well, you have a
> choice", dismissal of the issue as trivial and sometimes what seem to be
> personal remarks that have no baring on the issue.

For the "come to irc/our forum" issue, I think the goal there is simply
to be able to discuss the issue in a more natural manner in the former
case, and so as not to forget about it in the latter case.  Kris, Lars,
or I could enter tickets ourselves for issues described here, but often
we don't understand the request well enough provide sufficient detail.
That, and we're all somewhat overworked.

> The threads that involve Tango do tend to become drawn out, and the
> hostility is not entirely one sided, but the only reason that the are,
> as you say, non-constructive, is because there seems to be a reluctance
> to even look at issues from the other side's point of view.

I tend to avoid arguments on this newsgroup.  If that makes me seem
unresponsive, I apologize.

Sean