idea: Templates + AJAX = breakthrough application

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Mon Nov 19 14:23:28 PST 2007

Reply to Robert,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> The only clean way to do it still requiter that ctfeFunc be templated
>> or you cant get to any of the semantic info.
>>
> Sure you can. __traits, typeof(), is expressions... You can't pass
> around the types, though.

that's what I was thinking of, you end up with template at some point. If
nothing else you get:

char[] CTFEfunc(T)(T t){...}

>> Personably I'd rather not use mixins (my parser generator only uses
>> them in two place to generate numbered labels and a goto) My feeling
>> is that it's sort of going backwards in the abstraction domain. Also
>> I'd rather get a lex/syntax error that points to hard text rather
>> than mixin text. I find that a little CTFE, a little template
>> functional programming and a pile of tuple foreaches can get a LOT
>> done.
>>
> Descent will soon (in Kramer time...) have the ability to mark errors
> at a location in a mixin... you still have to figure out where the
> problem is being created, but at least you can see exactly what the
> problem is.

sweet, will it also do mixin unfolding? this would be where you can expand
a mixin in the editor to the text it expands to. This would however require
the ability to pin template parameters and unfold/evaluate that as well.
Whatever happens, it will be fun to see.

>> I would actually recommend playing around with template functional
>> programming a little (try some scheme or lisp first though).
>>
> I'll be learning that in school next quarter... Never done any
> functional programming, which may be why I'm so hesitant to adopt
> template-based programming fully.

My experience is that template stuff was Greek to me, then after taking programming
languages, it was a lot clearer. I wish you luck.

>> They are remarkably not that nasty in D. OTOH that's me saying this
>> and and I'm a bit off in what I think of as nasty (my current project
>> involves using lisp to do code-gen for some nasty template Foo, but I
>> get ahead of my self ;-)
>>
> Heh; looking forward to it!

:-þ  <G>