Phango - questions

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Nov 19 16:15:04 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:

> I used to be a big 'm_' guy, but I recently started using trailing
> underscores for private members.  Started doing that after porting
> OpenMesh from C++, which uses that convention.  I was amazed at how much
> more readable all the code looked with the garbage characters appended
> as a suffix rather than a prefix.  Apparently this style is used some by
> Boost as well as the ACE library.  Trying to find out where it came from
> I ran across a quote from someone saying (in 2004) that it's "the de
> facto cool kids' C++ style".  :-)
> http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.49438.14
>
> I asked the original OpenMesh devs about it and one responded that he
> used to be in typography before computer science, and from what he
> learned doing that about how humans read he could say the suffix version
> is definitely going to be more readable.

I prefer the "m_" prefix specifically because it is more visible than a
suffix.  Perhaps I simply haven't spent enough time with the suffix
form, but I feel that it's easier to miss a trailing underscore.  I am
also not sure of how I would indicate static member data with a
suffix... perhaps myVar_M and myVar_SM?

Sean