Proposal: digitalmars.D.tango newsgroup

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 06:12:05 PST 2007

== Quote from Oskar Linde (oskar.lindeREM at OVEgmail.com)'s article
> Bruce Adams wrote:
> > David Wilson Wrote:
> >
> >> In any case I'm happy as long as whatever you choose doesn't
> >> involve a web interface. Mail/news only please. :D
> >>
> > Sorry what's wrong with the web interface? It may not be perfect
> > but it is very convenient (posting from it now).
>
> Copy pasting another post of mine earlier. Seems #2 might be fixed
> since then though.

By the way, here's the link to the original message:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=47211

My response to the original message:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=47224

I mentioned that both Web-News and pnews (an web interface, but it's still
available) are open source (and both are written in PHP), so we might be able to
fix some or all of these problems. (But I guess no one has shown interest in doing
that yet. I know I have other things I'd rather do.)

By the way, I've been using pnews to make my replies from the web since it doesn't
seem to "break threads" in the same way that Web-News does.

There are other disadvantages to the web interfaces, too:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?NewsDmD#DisadvantagestotheWebInterface
but newsgroup readers aren't always available on a particular computer.