create digitalmars.D.moderated ??

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Nov 20 11:41:08 PST 2007

Reply to bls,

> Walter Bright schrieb:
>
>> It's been proposed that a new newsgroup be created,
>> digitalmars.D.moderated. It would work like moderated newsgroups on
>> usenet do, such as comp.lang.c++.moderated. There would be 3 or 4
>> volunteer moderators (not me), who would disallow posts that were
>> off-topic, me too, spam, lacked content, or contained personal
>> attacks. Ideally, the moderated group would set the bar for the
>> quality of the messages.
>>
>> The original newsgroups will remain as the free-for-all wild west
>> that makes them both fun and perhaps a little intimidating for some.
>> While I like the wild west approach, many others clearly find it
>> uncomfortable.
>>
> NO!
> It is sometimes uncomfortable to have a free NG, but disallowing
> opinions is in no case and never acceptable.  (It is not even a win)
> In case that you establish such a NG be asured I'll drop out. FWIW
> Bjoern

I think the idea is that peoples opinions should be aired, but only if they
pertain to the subject under discussion. The moderator would be expected
to make judgment calls like does an opinions about the social history of
another posters's parents fall under this category. If it is on topic (even
if the moderator is opposed to the opinion) then it should be let through.

That said, I am undecided as to if this is a good idea.