create digitalmars.D.moderated ??

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Nov 20 12:46:02 PST 2007

BLS wrote:
> Sean Kelly schrieb:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> It's been proposed that a new newsgroup be created,
>>> digitalmars.D.moderated. It would work like moderated newsgroups on
>>> usenet do, such as comp.lang.c++.moderated. There would be 3 or 4
>>> volunteer moderators (not me), who would disallow posts that were
>>> off-topic, me too, spam, lacked content, or contained personal
>>> attacks. Ideally, the moderated group would set the bar for the
>>> quality of the messages.
>>>
>>> The original newsgroups will remain as the free-for-all wild west
>>> that makes them both fun and perhaps a little intimidating for some.
>>> While I like the wild west approach, many others clearly find it
>>> uncomfortable.
>>
>> If we can find the volunteers, I think it would be great.
>>
> Is it you ? Is it you who has to decide about to publish or not to
> publish unpopular opinions ?  What kind of volunteers you are thinking
> about ..  BAH

I don't have the time to act as a moderator.  But moderation seems to
work fine for other usenet groups.  One factor is that the moderator for
a message is randomly chosen from the moderation pool, so even if there
were bias on the part of one moderator, their ability to stifle messages
would be limited.  Also, if someone feels that a moderator has acted
unfairly then they are free to say so, and even to re-submit (though
this is frowned upon in most cases).  So an unfair moderator would be
unlikely to retain their position for very long.

Sean