Bit type?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 24 06:24:55 PST 2007

"Dan" <murpsoft at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:fi7r8q$l05$1 at digitalmars.com...
> I thought I recalled D having a "bit[]" type with the restriction that you
> could only use bit[n*8]?

There was once a bit type, but it never had such a restriction.  Walter
removed it, I think because it was found too complicated and bug-prone to
implement.  Or something like that.

Meanwhile, Phobos has std.bitarray.  I also have a bit array implementation
capable of arbitrary slicing:
http://pr.stewartsplace.org.uk/d/sutil/

<snip>
> D just seems to fit together quite well - but I want an easy 4-bit type to
> work with.
>
> Who likes the idea?

4-bit type?  I guess some of the bit array code could be modified to give
nibble arrays, if that's what you mean....

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.