Phango - questions

darrylb noemail at example.com
Mon Nov 26 08:42:35 PST 2007

Don Clugston Wrote:

> Christopher Wright wrote:
> > Don Clugston wrote:
> >> Incidentally, one stylistic change between Phobos and Tango which
> >> hasn't been mentioned, is that Phobos uses a flat structure (except
> >> for a couple of things like std.c.windows.windows!). IMHO, the flat
> >> structure is decidedly inferior.
> >
> > Why is that?
> >
> > I work on a decently sized (40k lines) project in C#, and we're moving
> > from a deep hierarchy to a shallow one -- it's less typing, and we don't
> > see any advantages in the deeper structure.
> >
> > If you point out a reasonable advantage, then I can probably work quicker.
>
> Actually, I agree. I advocate shallow heirachies, not deep ones. But a
> completely flat heirarchy is not the same as a shallow one.
>
> Personally, parts of Tango's structure are a bit too deep for my liking. (I
> don't think frequently used stuff should be more that a couple of levels deep;

Ok, I usually just lurk and sit back and eat popcorn while reading the flames her e but I just had to comment...

Are you serious? You're worried about typing out a few extra characters in your import? Seriously, how much extra time is typing out maybe 10-20 characters going to cost you, as compared to say, writing the actual code for the module?

I'm not meaning to pick here but.. this just seems so inconsequential as to not even be worthy of mentioning.

If a slightly deeper structure leads to all sorts of benefits (logical separation, better segmentation of generated documentation, future-proofing expansion, etc) I really don't mind the extra 5 seconds to type out a bit more at the top of a module that I'll probably be working on for _much_ longer. Less typing? Sure, but the act of physically pressing keys and getting characters on the screen is _not_ the 'work' of the programmer... and 'tango.HashMap' versus 'tango.util.stuff.otherthings.collections.HashMap' .. who cares, as long as it works. After you're finished the 'pain' of typing that out once, you can always cut & paste it into other modules if it's that big of a deal :P