Tango - shallower hierarchy (was: Phango - questions)

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:39:42 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:

> By the way, I know you may consider it an implementor point of view, but
> another reason for core being distinct was motivated by distribution
> concerns.  It is currently possible to ship and use a Tango library
> containing only core, stdc, and sys (the latter two for their C
> headers).  Spreading this functionality out would make for a more
> confusing core/runtime distribution if we ever decide to do so.  Such
> modularity was originally intended to be a selling point of the library,
> and I will admit to have been somewhat surprised that most people don't
> seem to care about it.
>

> Sean

FWIW, I do like the modularity.

As evidenced by my other post, I am in the camp that thinks the
module/package layout is mostly for the implementor's own use, and the
users should use more appropriate search tactics that don't rely on some
kind of a priori knowledge of Tango's terminology and structure.