Please stop polluting D 2.0 with C/C++ programmer assumptions.

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Thu Nov 29 08:05:09 PST 2007

"Tomas Lindquist Olsen" <tomas at famolsen.dk> wrote in message
news:fimmh9$him$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Hi Walter (and NG).
>
> I've been trying to follow the NG lately (which is fairly time consuming)
> and I really only have one thing to say:
>
> 1) Remove the support for C style declaration.

If you are talking about C style declaration for array types I think D 1.0
has this feature as well.  I think Walter wants it to be friendlier for C++
folks so there will hopefully be more converts.  It does clutter the
language a little but it's not a big deal IMO.

> 2) Make suffix const the only way to declare a const method.

I don't know why Walter allows prefix const for methods.  It is a little
confusing IMO.

> 3) Stop assuming C++ programmers wants D to feel like C++.
> 4) Please...
>
> This stuff is killing me! For the first time in D2.0 history I'm feeling
> it's on the right track, but things like:
>
> class C {
> const const int[] func();
> }
>
> class ClassInfo {
> void (*classInvariant)(Object);
> }

What is this about anyway?  I don't understand it's significance.