IDEA: Use Unix-style chmod values for const and invariant

Russell Lewis webmaster at villagersonline.com
Thu Nov 29 09:32:56 PST 2007

Ok, I was pondering, trying to figure out some sort of syntax which
would allow us to communicate "const" and "invariant" in a way that's
easy to learn & remember.  Maybe we could learn from UNIX file
permissions, where you can see both the owner's permissions to the file,
and "other's" permissions.  In that case, we have these comparisons:

const:		rw-r--r--
invariant:	r--r--r--

Which leads me to this concept for alternative keywords:

const:		const_wr
invariant:	const_rr

Sure, the first time that a C++ programmer sees this, he won't know
exactly what it means, but it is (IMHO) easy to learn & remember.