D Development Paradigm

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 29 15:05:05 PST 2007

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> I would like to point out string, which was very much detested, but it is
> finally here. However string is not just an alias to char[] and it is not
> the String class that was wanted, but instead an alias to a const(char[])
> something useful in the face of const I suppose.

I'll often resist an idea because the existing implementations in other
languages suck. I'd rather delay implementing it until a non-sucking
design can be found. C++ const is a classic example of that. C++ const
is a first generation design, and has two crippling shortcomings: no
invariant, and no transitivity.

C++ const was leading edge technology when it was designed, but it's
obsolete today.

Only time will tell if D's const sucks or not :-)