D Development Paradigm

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 17:32:45 PST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:50:52 -0000, Craig Black <cblack at ara.com> wrote:

> "Paul Anderson" <paul.d.anderson.removethis at comcast.andthis.net> wrote in
> message news:fin002$16l8$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Craig Black Wrote:
>>
>>> Listening to Walter argue with everyone about const again I had to
>>> laugh.
>>> Does anyone else notice this pattern?
>>>
>>> 1) People propose an idea/complaint about a language feature
>>> 2) Walter makes a strong case for the way D does it
>>> 3) People press the point but Walter is stubborn
>>> 4) People get tired of arguing
>>> 5) Many months or years pass
>>> 6) For unknown reasons Walter changes his mind and makes the proposed
>>> change
>>>
>>> I remember a time when Walter disliked the idea of adding templates to
>>> D.
>>> also remember a time when Walter argued furiously against adding const.
>>> More recently he defended at length the 3-keyword const implementation.
>>> He
>>> always argues his points so adamantly that whenever he changes his mind
>>> it
>>> seems like a religious conversion. :)
>>>
>>> -Craig
>>>

>> So does this mean the system is broken or that it works? :-)
>>
>> Paul
>
> Walter's doing a great job IMO.  I guess you could say he just has a
> unique
> procedure for assimilating proposed language features..

Given how often people ask for new features and given how often the new
features
asked for are dumb, either not thought through or based on a lack of
knowledge of the
language you can hardly blame a language designer for wanting to play
devil's advocate
even for features they like. Not to mention the time it takes to implement
them. I had
the impression templates were always on the cards but are a complex
feature.

Regards,

Bruce.