Coverity?

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 22:23:03 PST 2007

Robert Fraser Wrote:

> S wrote:
> > I'm curious what kind of results Coverity would produce from the D frontend?  Anybody else curious?
>
> Well, it doesn't use delete (almost at all), and the #1 problem in
> Descent's Java port of it is NPEs. So I'm guessing it'd fail pretty bad.
>
> More importantly, would anyone be interested in a Coverity-style null
> checker (i.e. not just a lint) for D?

At the moment, I do most of my programming in an extended IDA Pro 5.1.  I do this because it allows me to do machine-level call graphing with collapsing features and step-through debugging.  I haven't had to compile more than once now since I started using it last year - no debugging, just analysis.

While it's still far from perfect, it's better than standard "text+compiler" authoring a program.

Not to sound arrogant, but my interest in D is sort of legacy to the days when I thought languages were significant.