Idea for getting rid of "static" on methods

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Nov 30 10:24:44 PST 2007

Craig Black wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
> news:fipjds$cft$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nobody likes how overused static is, so here's an idea for a syntax to
>> replace it in one place where it is frequently seen.
>>
>> Here it goes:
>>
>>    (with out this) int my_method() {...}
>>
>> badum -ching!
>>
>> --bb
>
> What are you joking about?  Did someone suggest getting rid of static?

Not recently, but it always comes up top on the list of confusingly
overused keywords.

I was just thinking about it a little because adding const(this) would
kind of make static stick out.  I was trying to think of some way static
on methods could be made more parallel with const(this).  Something like
no(this) was the first thing that came to mind, but that's not a keyword
so I went trolling through the keyword index to see if there was
anything else suitable.  But the best I could come up with sounded more
like a feeble attempt at humor than a real solution.

--bb