"Phango" container classes

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Tue Oct 2 03:26:53 PDT 2007

Janice Caron wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar at igesund.net> wrote:
>> As it is, I
>> would expect most (if not all) to want Tango's runtime ahead of Phobos'
>> given compatible interfaces.
>
> Well certainly not "all", because "all" includes me.
>
> You have to realise, a lot of people, myself included, adopt the
> philosophy "If an engine ain't broke, don't fix it". If there is /no
> need/ to replace the runtime (which there isn't), then I'm not going
> to do it, because what I have right now works just fine, so I'm not
> going to risk breaking anything by changing it.

You may not have experienced problems yet, but there are two main reasons
cited when someone switch from Phobos to Tango, where one is issues with
Phobos' runtime (typically threading and the GC). In the cases where the
same issue is identified in Tango, it is usually fixed by the next release
(and often within days in our repository). This may sound like bragging,
but it is meant as a testament to what is our main focus, the library.

> On the other hand, I'd have no problems with just importing a module
> to get me lots of cool new classes.

This is the other reason for people switching.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net