Phobos and Tango deep dependancies

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Oct 2 11:56:49 PDT 2007

Gilles G. wrote:
> Hello all, I noticed that using the phobos library on windows make
> the executables depend on a huge list of delay loaded DLLs and also 5
> "always loaded" DLLs (the list is below). I also tried the Tango
> library and the situation seems to be even worse...
>
> I would like to know why this dependancies exists and if there is
> something I can do to reduce them (maybe recompile phobos with some
> options?).
>
> Background: I wrote a DLL using D for a third-party software and they
> want me to reduce the dependancies...
>
> Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks again.
>
> -- Gilles G.
>

> Here is the DLL dependancy list for a simple "hello, word!" using
> writefln (I use the program depends.exe to track the dependancies): *
> Always loaded DLLs: MPR.DLL, GDI32.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, NTDLL.DLL,
> USER32.DLL

phobos.lib doesn't have any dependencies on various dll's, except that
std.socket pulls in ws2_32. All the dll dependencies come from the C
runtime library, snn.lib.

The only explicitly loaded dll's in snn.lib are kernel32 and user32. Any
other dll's are loaded by those dll's, and any dynamically loaded dll's
are loaded by those dll's. Not by phobos or snn.