patched phobos and phobos_ext

U.Baumanis ugis.baumanis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:39:27 PDT 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:59:05 +0100, David Wilson wrote:

> On 02/10/2007, UB <ugis.baumanis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is anybody interested in patched phobos and phobos_ext ( Tango's (?)
>> containers, ..., etc.), if Walter and Tango guys has nothing against it?
>
> I would be greatly interested in a distribution of Phobos that
> includes critical fixes (threading, GC, etc.) with minimal functional
> enhancements. Someone recently mentioned having a definitive patch
> list for Phobos; I think that at least is a great idea.
>
> What I really believe D needs is a Phobos distribution ala. Net-Phobos
> like Netqmail is for Qmail. If you're not familiar with that situation
> - the Qmail author produced an excellent body of code, but has a
> policy of keeping it incredibly traditional, such as not using
> "errno.h", which causes the build to break on many modern C libraries
> that virtualize the actual "errno" symbol.
>
> Net-Qmail contains the minimal fixes required to restore Qmail
> functionality in a modern environment, and as such has become the de
> facto Qmail distribution. People trust it because they know it barely
> deviates from the official source code.
>
> Specifically I believe it would be a grand mistake to extend or
> functionally modify Phobos in any way - if you expect any community
> uptake as opposed to Yet Another Runtime.
>
> GDC also made its own modifications to Phobos. It would be interesting
> to enumerate them and try to provide a unified distribution - if
> possible you might expect excellent uptake.
>

> Again I stress I believe it would be a grave mistake to extend Phobos.
> There are enough "standard libraries" as it is. :)
>
> Thanks,
>

> David.

Thanks for your ideas and advices.
Regarding phobos_ext, I agree - there is no need to mix two projects in
one. (this idea just came out of previous posts about relatively easy
extracting Tango's containers and using with Phobos)
So yes, main target must be Phobos and then other libs will hopefully use
it more.

And may be than Tango could be used as extension to Phobos.

ubau